PhinneyWood parents and kids have loved Top Ten Toys, known for their incredible selection of high quality, educational, toys, crafts and games, since 1987. When the Top Ten Toys founder, Allen Rickert, was ready to retire after 30 years, he chose to sell to Snapdoodle Toys, knowing they were a successful business with a similar philosophy. Top Tens Toys is now Snapdoodle’s third location (the other two are in Kenmore and Renton).
“It’s great knowing I am handing over the 30-year-legacy of Top Ten Toys to a pair of proven toy retailers, Rob Pickering and his wife, Cherry,” announced Rickert leading up to the transfer of ownership. Rob Pickering is a native Washingtonian who attended Kirkland’s Juanita High School and the University of Washington and, before going into the toy business, worked as both a schoolteacher and a stay-at-home dad. Cherry Pickering works in health care.
In honor of the Top 10 legacy and a celebration of the new name, local resident and writer Erika Stanley has compiled the top ten reasons you will love Snapdoodle as much as Top Ten Toys.
10. Although Snapdoodle has owned Top Ten Toys since May of 2018, they delayed the name change because they care about locals. Eventually though, they realized for the sake of running the business, it was less complicated to be consistent with the name- “Hello this is Top Ten Toys, but also Snapdoodle, how can I help you?” doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue.
9. Most of the changes affect the employees, not the customers. For instance, Snapdoodle purchased new computers, has a new way of tracking inventory, and no longer has storage in their basement.
8. While Snapdoodle is now in charge of choosing inventory, they do pay attention to the wants and need of each individual location. For example, our location has a fantastic book selection because PhinneyWood families love to read.
7. The new rewards system. Those who join earn a 10% off coupon for every $200 spent. This coupon, as well as all purchase information, is saved in the computer system; you don’t need to worry about losing it and you no longer need a receipt to make a return.
6. The fall catalogue. Sign up and it will be delivered to your door, allowing your kids to highlight everything they want for Christmas.
5. The game section. Eurogames, card games, and collaborative games are more popular than ever. Snapdoodle has grown their selection and have knowledgeable (game playing) employees to help you find just what you need.
4. Party space! They now have a room for parties and events. For around $200, Snapdoodle will host your child’s birthday party and provide a craft activity (call for details).
3. Fun weekly drop in events. Tuesdays: Pokémon League for 5-7 pm, Wednesdays: Story Time from 11am-noon, Thursdays: Crafternoon from 4-5 pm, and Fridays: Game Night from 5-7 pm.
2. The employees! They love working in a toy store and are passionate about what they sell.
1. The number one reason to love Snapdoodle? You guessed it, the wrapping station! Not only is the wrapping station staying, it has improved! With more paper and ribbon options than ever, your gifts will still have that beautiful “fresh from Top Ten Toys” look, with smeared wet paint blobs and misspelled words, To mY BFf, HApy BirFday!