A one-mile stretch of Aurora Avenue North will see one lane closure in each direction between the Aurora Bridge and just north of Mercer Street starting next Monday, Jan. 18, and lasting for about a month. The median lanes in each direction will close so that crews can build four large sign foundations for the future SR 99 tunnel. That means buses and vehicles will share the bus-only lane.
During the first phase of this two-phase project, when the median lanes are closed, the southbound bus-only lane will open to all traffic. Drivers should use caution since buses will travel – and stop – in the lane with other vehicle traffic.
Jan. 18 through mid-February
- Median lanes close in both directions between the Aurora Bridge and just north of Mercer Street
- An additional lane will close at night and during several weekends including Jan. 23-24
Mid-February through early March
- Median lanes reopen. Northbound traffic returns to normal pattern
- The southbound curb lane near Comstock Street will close for approximately three weeks
- An additional southbound lane may close at night
WSDOT encourages drivers and bus riders to plan ahead as additional congestion is expected on Aurora Avenue North. Consider alternative travel modes such as ride-sharing or carpooling, or traveling in off-peak times. Keep informed by using King County Metro’s rider alerts or trip planning tools as well as WSDOT’s travel tools and SDOT’s travelers information page.