The King County Council this week recognized the North Seattle Boys and Girls Club in Greenwood for its 70th anniversary.
Pat Murray, Regional Director of the Boys and Girls Clubs of King County, and Calvin Lyons, President and CEO of the Boys and Girls Clubs of King County, with the members of the Metropolitan King County Council.
According to the press release, the North Seattle Boys and Girls Club became the first Boys and Girls Club in King County in 1943. It was created to address the problem of juvenile crime after a riot involving more than 100 teens on the corner of North 85th Street and Greenwood Avenue North.
The club provides athletic programs, after-school programs and day camps when school is out.
The council also donated a used Metro Transit Vanpool van to the club, to transport kids between school and the club, on field trips and during summer break.