The city has issued a high wind and heavy rain advisory until 10 a.m. Wednesday, and City Light is preparing for possible outages, so write down this customer service number now: 206-684-3000. For downed power lines, call 206-706-0051.
And a few safety reminders from City Light:
- Do not get near any downed wire. Always assume a downed wire is “live” and dangerous. If someone sees a downed wire, they should call 206-706-0051.
- Do not use a barbecue grill or generator inside the house or in a garage that is attached to the house. Do not use a grill or generator near a home air intake vent or near windows.
- Do not use fossil fuel burning auxiliary heating sources.
- Have an emergency power outage kit available and well-stocked.
- There should be sufficient supplies to last three days for every family member and family pets. Make sure all batteries are fresh. To find out what to put into a kit, go to www.takewinterbystorm.org.
- Know how to manually override electric garage doors, security doors and gates.
- Have a land line phone or fully charged cell phone available – cordless phones won’t work when the power is out.
- Unplug electrical appliances if the power goes out so that when the power comes back on, there won’t be a surge that could damage sensitive electronic equipment.
- Use battery-powered flashlights – not candles or oil lamps; also have a battery-powered radio.
- Close doors, windows, curtains, and unused fireplace dampers to retain heat if there is an outage.