House fire on Phinney Ridge

by | Jul 5, 2008

When we went to bed at 11:30 p.m. or so, we were beginning to think our expanded neighborhood would escape any Fourth of July house fires, but sirens headed to Phinney Ridge woke us up at 3:15 a.m.

I could smell the smoke several blocks away. When firefighters arrived at 52nd and 2nd Ave., flames and heavy smoke were pouring from the roof. The resident was able to escape without injury.

Crews climbed up the backside of the house and sawed through the roof.

About 20 minutes later, the fire was “tapped,” or extinguished. From the outside, damage on the second floor appeared to be rather extensive. No word on whether it was fireworks-related — we’ll find out more in the morning.
Update: The fire department says it was an accidental electrical fire — not sparked by fireworks. Damage is estimated at $200,000.

Recent Posts

12th annual PhinneyWood Pride Rainbow Hop is next Saturday

12th annual PhinneyWood Pride Rainbow Hop is next Saturday

New online bookstore Seattle Book Club teams up with Sip & Ship

New online bookstore Seattle Book Club teams up with Sip & Ship

Parent’s Night Out event next Wednesday at Barking Dog – they babysit while you relax

Parent’s Night Out event next Wednesday at Barking Dog – they babysit while you relax