More than two dozen musicians and several poets are donating their time and talents to a “Couth Buzzard Appreciation Day” on June 23. The bookstore at 8310 Greenwood Ave. N. has struggled with the difficult economy and the extensive road work on Greenwood Avenue and nearby North 85th Street, and co-owner Theo Dzielak just lost his teenage daughter to lymphoma.
In an open letter to friends of the bookstore, event organizer Stewart Hendrickson writes that Theo and co-owner Gerry Lovchik have “strived to place community over business profits.”
As a community we need to express our sympathy and our appreciation to Theo for all he has done to make the Couth a real community asset. I cannot think of another place that might take its place were the Couth not to survive.
The June 23 event begins with music in the bookstore’s alcove starting at 10:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Then, from 7:30-9:30 p.m., a benefit cabaret brings another set of well-known musicians. Everyone is encouraged to buy books and food and drink from Espresso Buono Café inside the bookstore.
Here’s the schedule for the daytime music:
- 10:30 a.m.: Betty Hendrickson – hammered dulcimer
- 10:50 a.m.: Jillian Graham – singer/songwriter
- 11:10 a.m.: Ming Chen – Irish Session players
- 11:30 a.m.: Rose Laughlin – Irish singer
- 11:50 a.m.: Morgan & Graves – songs & fiddle tunes
- 12:10 p.m.: Robert Vierschilling and students – classical guitar
- 12:30 p.m.: Ginny Reilly – singer/songwriter
- 12:50 p.m.: Molly Bauckham – harp
- 1:10 p.m.: William Limbach – folk singer
- 1:30 p.m.: Eric Apoe – singer/songwriter
- 1:50 p.m.: Isla Ross – fiddle
- 2:10 p.m.: Kenny Mandell – jazz trio
- 2:30 p.m.: Mike Buchman – singer/songwriter
- 2:50 p.m.: Janet Rayor – cabaret singer
- 3:10 p.m.: Pandi – Gloria Darlings
- 3:30 p.m.: Greg Spence-Wolf – singer/songwriter
- 3:50 p.m.: Katy Keenan – folk singer
- 4:10 p.m.: Nancy K. Dillon – singer/songwriter
And here’s the schedule for the cabaret, co-hosted by Gary Kanter and Jim Page, which begins at 7:30 p.m.
- Bill Davie – singer/songwriter — 15 min
- Kat Eggleston – singer/songwriter — 15 min
- Amanda Laughtland – poet — 5 min
- Linda Khandro – harp — 15 min
- Peter Langston – 3-Play Ricochet band — 15 min
- Michael Schein – poet — 5 min
- Rebecca Cohen – singer/songwriter — 15 min
- Larry Crist – poet — 5 min
- Jim Page – singer/songwriter — 15 min