The PNA and the Greenwood Branch of The Seattle Public Library are teaming up on a project to build community around our shared experiences during the COVID-19 pandemic. Though we are still finalizing the format for sharing this content, we would like to start by soliciting contributions from our Greenwood/Phinney neighbors.
We welcome you to send content you’d like to share in digital format to email@example.com. Contributions can come as written emails, attached written documents, photographs/drawings, or links to videos posted online.
We also encourage you to connect with your neighbors or family members who are not able to connect with us digitally and help them to submit content as well.
There’s a great example pictured above. On April 2, 90 Phinney Ridge neighbors received beautiful fresh flowers from struggling small business Blong’s Gardens Farm.
The flowers were delivered to neighbor Dana and John’s house and folks picked them up one at a time in a safe, no-contact, socially-distanced manner, of course.
Dana and John had heard about the idea and gathered $2300 worth of orders to support the small business that had been hit hard by COVID-19. The result was a very happy owner of Blong’s Gardens and 90 colorful cheered-up Phinney households!
If you are not sure where to start, here are some things we’d like to hear from you:
- How is the pandemic affecting your daily life?
- What projects or programs are happening in the neighborhood that may not be covered by local news?
- How are you reaching out and helping your neighbors, or how have your neighbors helped you?
- If you were able to borrow materials before the Libraries closed, what has meant the most to you? What digital materials are you accessing and enjoying through the Library?
- Have your interests in book or media subjects changed during this experience? How about the ways in which you relate to fictional characters or situations?
- What has losing community spaces like the Greenwood Library and Phinney Neighborhood Association facilities meant to you?
- What new things have you noticed on walks around the neighborhood that you may have missed from your car?
- What sounds are you hearing now that our usual background noise of traffic and general buzz has quieted?
- How have your interactions with loved ones or neighbors changed? Have you made connections with strangers in new and unexpected ways?
- What are your favorite quarantine-inspired, works-in-a-pinch cooking tips?
- What does self-care look like for you during this experience, and do you have tips to share with others?
- How as your living space evolved during this experience?
- If you are home with loved ones, what is your ideal stay-at-home date night or family night?
- What has been your biggest success during this experience? How about your biggest surprise, or biggest challenge?
When you share content, please let us know the following:
- Are you okay with us publishing this in print or online?
- Would you like to remain anonymous, or include your name?
Please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions as well. We are so excited to hear from all of you!