Here’s what’s happening in and around the neighborhood this weekend. Check our Events calendar for more.
Hunger Goblin’ Trick or Treat at businesses all along Phinney-Greenwood avenues from 12-3 p.m. Saturday. Bring a canned food donation for the food bank if you can (they’ll happily accept money too). Donation stations located at: Umpqua Bank, 7120 Greenwood Ave. N.; Ken’s Market, 7231 Greenwood Ave. N.; HomeStreet Bank, 7307 Greenwood Ave. N.; Greenwood Library, 8016 Greenwood Ave. N.; The Yard Café, 8313 Greenwood Ave. N.; Top Ten Toys, 120 N. 85th St.; and Verity Credit Union, 8533 Greenwood Ave. N.) Special activities at Rock of Ages Lutheran Brethren Church, 316 N. 70th St. (decorated car trucks, free cider and hot cocoa, plus bathrooms for parents and kids); Umpqua Bank (Hunger Goblin’ photo booth); Greenwood Library (Bats and Crafts); The Stage Door, 208 N. 85th St. (Great Pumpkin ring toss activity)
Winter Herbal Remedies Workshop at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Broadview Library, 12755 Greenwood Ave. N. “Get ready for the winter months and the ailments that can sometimes accompany the cold weather with a Native American approach to herbs and staying healthy. At this workshop led by Susan Balbas, Cherokee and Yaqui Nations, you’ll learn about some of the many native plants of our area we can use to keep our bodies in great shape, and increase your ability to fight off colds and flus. You’ll leave with recipes, sample medicines and lots of new plant knowledge.” All supplies included. Free; online registration is required.
Seattle Folklore Society presents Randal Bays & John Coyne at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at the Phinney Neighborhood Association, 6532 Phinney Ave. N., in Community Hall in the Brick Building.
Open Jazz Jam with Kenny Mandell (all levels welcome) from 2-4:15 p.m. Sunday at Couth Buzzard Books, 8310 Greenwood Ave. N.
Halloween festivals around the area:
- Fall Fest from 6-8 p.m. Friday at Ballard Community Center, 6020 28th Ave. NW. For ages 2-10. $5. Games, apple press, make your own scarecrow (bring old clothes).
- Community Halloween Potluck from 12-2:30 p.m. Saturday at Green Lake Community Center/Evans Pool. Bring a dish to share; live music provided.
- Trunk or Treat from 4-6 p.m. Saturday at Greenwood Christian Church, 8018 Fremont Ave. N.
- Bounce & Swim from 6-8 p.m. Saturday at Green Lake Community Center/Evans Pool. Free; for ages 5-15. Two haunted bouncy houses in the dimly lit gym, pirate-themed pool party with floating pumpkins. Snacks provided. Canned food donations for food bank encouraged.
- Pumpkin Bash at Woodland Park Zoo all weekend with special Halloween treats for the animals, pumpkin displays and trick-or-treating around the zoo.