Here’s what’s happening in and around Phinney Ridge and Greenwood this weekend. Check our Events calendar any time for more.
Woodland Park Zoo’s new Assam Rhino Reserve opens Saturday with greater one-horned rhinos Taj and Glenn, plus Asian brown tortoises and demoiselle cranes.
Speaking of the zoo and rhinos, the Puget Sound chapter of the American Association of Zoo Keepers is hosting its annual Bowling for Rhinos event from 6-10 p.m. Saturday at the University of Washington HUB, 4001 NE Stevens Way. The event is open to the public and all funds raised go directly to rhino conservation. The event features bowling, dinner, a cash bar serving beer, wine and spirits, raffle prizes, and other games including pool, ping pong and a video game room. Register or make a donation here.
Phinney Neighborhood Association annual auction starts at 5 p.m. Saturday at 6532 Phinney Ave. N. The silent auction is inside, then festivities move outside to the big white tent for the live auction.
Kortney’s (Stand-Up Style) Comedy Showcase at 8 p.m. Saturday at Naked City Brewery & Taphouse, 8564 Greenwood Ave. N.
Seattle Folklore Society presents 3 Play Ricochet at 7 p.m. Sunday at the Phinney Center, 6532 Phinney Ave. N., in Community Hall in the Brick Building.
First Sundays Blues Open Jam Session at 7 p.m. Saturday at Couth Buzzard Books, 8310 Greenwood Ave. N.
Traffic-wise around town this weekend:
- Saturday is Opening Day of boating season, so expect a lot of traffic in and around the U-District for the annual Windermere Cup Crew Races races and boat parade.
- Mariners vs. Los Angeles Angels at Safeco Field at 7:10 p.m. Friday, 6:10 p.m. Saturday, and 1:10 p.m. Sunday.
- March of Dimes March for Babies starts at 9 a.m. Saturday at the Seattle Center. Some streets will be closed and buses rerouted.
- Fiesta 5K Ole and Taco Truck Challenge at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at Volunteer Park on Capitol Hill.
- In Ballard, the Nordic Museum Grand Opening starts at 12 p.m. Saturday at 2655 NW Market St.
- Sounders vs. Columbus at 1 p.m. Saturday at CenturyLink Field.
- Taco Libre Truck Showdown is from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday in Fremont.
- WWII Immortal Regiment Memorial Walk starts at 12:30 p.m. Sunday in Occidental Park.