≡ Menu

Greenwood apartment fire on Sunday ruled ‘accidental electrical’

The Sunday afternoon apartment fire at the Maria Chalet apartments at 9710 Greenwood Ave. N. was ruled “accidental electrical” by Seattle Fire Department investigators.

Lt. Harold Webb, Public Affairs Officer with the Seattle Fire Department, tells me fire fighters responded to the building after multiple 911 calls about heavy smoke coming from a third floor apartment, at 3:29 p.m. Sunday.

Lt. Webb says firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire before it spread to other apartments. One man inside the apartment was transported to Harborview Medical Center with minor smoke inhalation and burns to his hands. The rest of the building’s occupants were uninjured and evacuated. One firefighter was transported to Harborview for evaluation.

Greenwood Avenue was closed in both directions as fire trucks and medical units filled the road.

As of Monday afternoon, all occupants were allowed to reoccupy their units, except for the unit with the fire, which was deemed uninhabitable. The Red Cross was contacted to help the injured occupant.

Firefighters kept a watch on the building until Monday morning, in case of a flareup.

Thanks to James for the photos!