Here are some highlights of what’s happening in and around our neighborhood on this beautiful weekend. Check our Events calendar for more.
It’s opening weekend for “Busman’s Honeymoon” at Taproot Theatre.
Urban Hands Charity Game Night at 7 p.m. Friday at Green Bean Coffeehouse, 8525 Greenwood Ave. N.
Annual Book and Bake Sale at Sakya Monastery of Tibetan Buddhism, 108 NW 83rd St., Saturday and Sunday.
Seattle Folklore Society presents Sylvia Herold Ensemble at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at the Phinney Neighborhood Center, 6532 Phinney Ave. N., in the Brick Building. Tickets in advance are $18 general; $16 SFS/PNA members, seniors and students; kids half price (all tickets are $2 more day of the show).
Bay Area singer, guitarist, and song sleuth Sylvia Herold mines the motherlode of American jazz and popular song from the 1930s through the 1960s. Songs of wit and romance by composers Cole Porter, Hoagy Carmichael, George Gershwin, and Harold Arlen are lovingly rendered in a voice the San Francisco Examiner calls “mesmerizing.” Herold was a member of the swing vocal trio Cats & Jammers and The Hot Club of San Francisco. She has appeared on more than 25 albums, including five solo recordings, and currently tours and records with Wake the Dead, The Lonestar Retrobates, and The Sylvia Herold Ensemble.
The Cookie Counter, which has had a soft opening the last couple weeks, will host its grand reopening at 7415 Greenwood Ave. N. from 12-9 p.m. on Sunday.
The Phinney Center hosts a panel discussion on “How to Be an Ally to Immigrants and Refugees” from 2-4 p.m. Sunday.
- Westbound I-90 will be reduced to one lane near Bellevue Way from 11 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday.
- U-District Street Fair is Saturday and Sunday.
- Seattle Sounders play Real Salt Lake at 2 p.m. Saturday at CenturyLink Field.
- Mariners vs. Chicago White Sox at 7:10 p.m. Friday, 7:10 p.m. Saturday, and 1:10 p.m. Sunday at Safeco Field.
- Stars on Ice at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at KeyArena.
- “Beat the Bridge” run/walk begins at 7:30 a.m. Sunday at Husky Stadium.
- Seattle Storm vs. Washington Mystics at 4 p.m. Sunday at KeyArena.