Just a few things on tap in the neighborhood for the weekend, plus lots of New Year’s Eve and Day closures. Check our Events calendar for what’s happening this weekend and beyond.
“The Cup” community open house from 2-5 p.m. at Woodland Park United Church, 302 N. 78th St.
Friday is closing night for “The Trial of Ebenezer Scrooge” at Taproot Theatre, 204 N. 85th St.
Puget Sound Concert Opera: New Years à la Française at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Music Center of the Northwest, 901 N. 96th St.
New Year’s closures:
- All locations of The Seattle Public Library and the book drops at the Central Library will be closed on Sunday.
- Metro will operate its regular Sunday schedule on Sunday, and also on Monday.
- Many Seattle Parks and Recreation facilities will be closed or on modified schedules:
- Community centers and environmental learning centers will close at 5 p.m. on Saturday, and will be closed on Sunday and Monday.
- Teen Centers and Late Night programs will be closed on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
- Indoor swimming pools will close at 3 p.m. on Saturday, and will be closed Sunday and Monday.
- Small Craft Centers will be closed on Sunday and Monday.
- Golf courses will close at 2 p.m. on Saturday, but will be open on Sunday (check course schedules as some may be slightly different).
- Amy Yee Tennis Center will be open from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, closed on Sunday, and open from 7 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. on Monday.
- Garbage, recycling and yard waste collections for residential customers will not be affected since New Year’s is on Sunday. Commercial customers with Sunday collection will be picked up on Monday. The North and South Transfer Stations will be closed on Sunday. Residents who subscribe to yard waste collection can put Christmas trees and greens out on their regular collection day at no extra charge through Jan. 31, or drop off at the North or South Transfer Station for free through Jan. 31. Multi-family buildings can put out one tree next to each food and yard waste cart per collection day at no extra charge.
- Seattle Department of Transportation and Uber are providing a $10 discount on uberPOOL trips for all new and existing users on New Year’s Eve. Users can redeem the discount by entering the promo code SAFESTART2017 in the Uber app and requesting a ride between 2 p.m. on Saturday and 5 a.m. on Sunday.
If you’re heading out of the neighborhood for New Year’s Eve, the annual fireworks show New Year’s Eve at the Needle will close Broad Street between Denny Way and 5th Avenue North from 11:30 p.m. to about 12:30 a.m.