Here are a few highlights of what’s happening in and around the neighborhood this weekend. See our Events calendar for more.
Woodland Park United Methodist Church, 302 N. 78th St., hosts “The Cup,” a weekly open house from 2-5 p.m. Fridays for community interaction, talking, sharing, praying, doing a hobby, meditating, playing music, etc. Open to all.
Beppa Studios’ fall sale is from 4-8 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at 7700 6th Ave. N.
The Phinney Farmers Market is from 3:30-7:30 p.m. Friday in the upper parking lot of the Phinney Neighborhood Center, 6532 Phinney Ave. N. Fresh fruit, berries, veggies, bread, meat, eggs, flowers, cider, ice cream, popsicles, and lots of dining options. From 5-7:30 p.m. tonight is the Farmers Market Happy Hour, with $5 drinks from local brewers, wineries and distilleries in a designated bar area that will be covered and heated (21 and over only). Beer from Lowercase Brewing, Naked City Brewery & Taphouse and Flying Bike Cooperative Brewery; wine from White Heron Cellars; cider from Schilling Cider House; cocktails from Old Ballard Liquor and Timber City Ginger Beer.
It’s opening weekend of “Joyful Noise” at Taproot Theatre, which runs through Oct. 22.
Ballard Preschool Co-ops’s Gently Used Kids’ Gear Sale from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday in the PNA’s Brick Building.
Soccer Saturdays presented by the English Premier Soccer Academy from 9:30-10:45 a.m. Saturday at the North Seattle Boys & Girls Club, 8635 Fremont Ave. N.
Seattle Folklore Society presents Eliza Gilkyson with Nina Gerber at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at the Phinney Center, 6532 Phinney Ave. N., in the Brick Building. Tickets in advance are $20 general; $17 SFS/PNA members, seniors and students; kids half price. All tickets are $2 more day of the show.)
SFS kicks off its 50th-anniversary concert season with Eliza Gilkyson, a Grammy-nominated singer, songwriter, and activist who has become one of the most respected musicians in the folk, roots and Americana scenes. She has released 20 recordings of her own, and her songs have been used in films, PBS specials, and on prime-time TV while also being covered by the likes of Joan Baez, Bob Geldof, Tom Rush, and Rosanne Cash, to name a few.
Open Jazz Jam with Kenny Mandell from 2-4:15 p.m. Sunday at Couth Buzzard Books, 8310 Greenwood Ave. N.
Events around town this weekend that will affect traffic:
- The Montlake Bridge will be closed Saturday and Sunday, and Metro routes will be rerouted.
- Bite of Broadview is Friday through Sunday at Christ the King Church at North 117th Street and Phinney Avenue North.
- Fremont Oktoberfest runs Friday through Sunday on North Canal Street and North 35th Street between 1st Avenue NW and Phinney Avenue North.
- Ballard’s Fishermen’s Fall Festival is from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday at Fishermen’s Terminal, 3919 18th Ave. W., with free family fun, boat tours, kids’ activities, and salmon barbecue.
- Seahawks play the 49ers at 1:05 p.m. Sunday at CenturyLink Field.
Looking ahead to next week:
- Coriolis Dance presents the premiere screening of the 15-minute dance film “Voluntary Caesura,” with gallery showing and celebration at 7 p.m. Thursday at The Pocket Theater, 8312 Greenwood Ave. N. Tickets are $10 online, $14 at the door.