≡ Menu

Seattle Fire Department rules this morning’s natural gas explosion as accidental, damage estimated at $3 million

Seattle Fire Department investigators have ruled this morning’s natural gas explosion as accidental.

Here’s more from SFD Fire Line:

Seattle Fire Investigators have determined that the early morning explosion and resulting fire in Greenwood were accidental and caused by a natural gas leak on the exterior of the building.

Three businesses located in the building shared common walls and were leveled by the blast: Quick Stop Grocery at 8409 Greenwood Avenue North, Mr. Gyros at 8411 Greenwood Avenue North, and Neptune Coffee at 8415 Greenwood Avenue North.

Natural gas levels accumulated in the interior of the building to the extent that they ignited. Investigators were not able to pinpoint the source of ignition inside the structure.

The total damage to the building is estimated at three million dollars.