≡ Menu

Firefighters extinguish house fire at 1st Ave NW and NW 83rd Street in Greenwood

Update Friday: Investigators estimate the damage to the home at $70,000. The official cause “accidental, mechanical damage of electrical wiring system during the installation of insulation.”

Update 4:15 p.m.: SFD Public Information Officer Kyle Moore just called me with more details. He said the call came in about 1 p.m. A man was home with his dog while some work was being done in his attic. The workers said to call 911 and everyone evacuated. The fire burned in the attic space, causing a lot of smoke and more flames when firefighters opened up the roof. The fire was extinguished by 1:51 p.m. The Red Cross was called in to provide housing for the man, a woman and a child. The house is not a total loss; fire investigators have not yet provided a damage estimate. Moore said the cause was accidental/electrical.

Earlier: Seattle firefighters have extinguished a fire in a house in the 100 block of NW 83rd St. According to a Seattle Fire Department tweet, the home’s occupant and a dog made it safely outside.

Photo by Seattle Fire Department.

Photo by Seattle Fire Department.

Another tweet with a picture showed firefighters being cooled down by huge misting fans because of the heat.

Photo by Seattle Fire Department.

Photo by Seattle Fire Department.

We have a message in to the Fire Department Public Information Officer and will update this post when we have more information.

Thanks to Jeremy for alerting us!