The major repaving project on North and NW 85th Street that we’ve been telling you about for months will get underway during the week of Jan. 3. Seattle Department of Transportation crews have been doing some preliminary work over the last few months.
Drivers should be prepared for detours and delays as SDOT begins a year-long project to repave North/NW 85th Street from I-5 all the way to 15th Avenue NW.
Beginning as early as January 4, NW 85th St will be closed to eastbound traffic between 15th Ave NW and 8th Ave NW (Phase 1). All eastbound traffic, including Metro buses, will be detoured via NW 80th St. Construction activities in this area will limit westbound travel lanes and prohibit parking along NW 85th St.
Roadwork between 8th Ave NW and Greenwood Ave N (Phase 2) will also start in January. Phase 2 work will intermittently reduce travel lanes for eastbound and westbound traffic to allow space for construction. Rebuilding the intersection at N 85th St and Greenwood Ave N will require multiple weekend intersection closures. Intersection work is planned to start in late-January.
What to expect during construction
• Eastbound detours via NW 80th St
• Reduced lanes for westbound traffic
• Reduced traffic lanes in Phase 2
• Multiple weekend closures at Greenwood Ave N
• No parking on NW 85th St from 15th Ave NW to 8th Ave NW
• Temporary sidewalk and driveway closures
• Noise, dust and light impacts
• Occasional nighttime work activities
• Restricted access to side streets adjacent to NW 85th St for extended periods
• Pedestrian access to businesses and residences will be maintained at all times
During eastbound detours, do your part and help keep neighborhoods safe
The first few weeks of eastbound detours on NW 85th St are likely to be difficult for commuters, residents and businesses. Please bear with us while we make adjustments and work to keep people safe and traffic moving.
SDOT is asking commuters to:
• Use signed detour routes and avoiding cutting through neighborhood streets
• Follow posted speed limits
• Allow additional time for your trips
• Use alternate routes to I-5 and Highway 99
• Consider using transit, biking or walking instead of driving during peak commuting times
Safety improvement project coming to 15th Ave NW and NW 83rd St
The intersection of 15th Ave NW and NW 83rd St has been at the top of SDOT’s collision list for several years. To improve driver and pedestrian safety at this intersection before eastbound detours begin in January, a new concrete island and a median curb will be installed. These changes are scheduled to be implemented this month, and will prevent left turns onto NW 83th St from southbound 15th Ave NW, and left turns onto southbound 15th Ave NW from NW 83rd St.
For questions or comments regarding this safety project, please email Mike MorrisLent, SDOT Traffic Operations Engineer, at email@example.com.
For more information:
• Call the 24-hour project line: (206) 496-9993
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Visit: www.seattle.gov/transportation/pave_85th.htm