Vision Greenwood Park (VGP) has been working to improve portions of Greenwood Park at the corner of North 87th Street and Fremont Avenue North. VGP has held work parties to clear brush, and community celebrations to get the word out about their plans, which include a community garden and a multi-sport courtyard.
Volunteers cleared brush and installed a twig fence at Greenwood Park last October. Photo by Jay Boynton.
Now, VGP is trying to raise $2,500 to match their grants.
We have many accomplishments from 2010 and this spring to share:
- Awarded $102,000 in grants from City of Seattle, King County, and the Norcliffe Foundation to build the community garden and multi-sport courtyard.
- Applied for a Neighborhood Matching Fund Grant from the City of Seattle Department of Neighborhoods for $47,000 to construct the multi-sport courtyard.
- Held a fun and successful fundraising event in the summer of 2010 – The 2nd Annual Party in the Park. Over 100 people attended and over $2,000 raised!
- Held 2 very successful work parties in the fall of 2010, which started the work on the community garden. More than 20 volunteers at each work party who helped take down an old fence, clear the lot of brush and debris and built a twig fence.
- Held a community Urban Birding workshop in February 2011. Over 40 attendees gave a donation, listened to a local birder share tips, and built their own birdhouses. This awesome family-friendly event helped raise over $600.
- Held work party with 20 volunteers on April 16 to continue progress towards the community garden.
Our grants require a local match. For every dollar of cash from the City of Seattle, we need to put in a dollar’s worth of volunteer time or a cash donation. While there is a lot to celebrate, with the great turnout for park events and generous donations, we still need your support. To leverage the full amount of the City grant and be able to complete the community garden this year, we need to raise an additional $2,500 in donations.
Your monetary support will help us complete the community garden in time for late season planting in 2011 and get started on the multi-sport courtyard in 2012!
Donations of any amount can be made securely on the Phinney Neighborhood Association website here. Checks are also welcome and can be made out to Vision Greenwood Park and sent to PO Box 30105, Seattle, WA 98113. All donations are tax deductible!