The Seattle Public Library is offering more workshops for job seekers, in partnership with WorkSource at South Seattle Community College. Workshops are free and registration is not required, but seating may be limited, so get there early. Each workshop is held at several branches. The Greenwood branch at 8016 Greenwood Ave. N. is holding the following workshops:
- Resume Basics – Learn what employers are looking for in resumes and receive a resume template that can be used in paper or electronic form; 4:30-6 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 23.
- Beginning a Job Search – Learn how to develop a successful job search plan in tough economic times; 4:30-6 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 30.
- Job Interview Basics – Learn how to successfully prepare for a job interview. Learn about common interview questions and body language; 12-1:30 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 16.
- Online Job Search Basics – Learn how to submit online resumes and complete Web-based job applications. Prerequisites: Internet Basics 1 or the ability to navigate a Web page; Resume Basics or an existing resume; 12-1:30 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 30.
The library is also offering free beginning computer classes for people who have little or no experience with computers. Registration is not required, but seating may be limited. The following classes will be at the Greenwood branch:
- Computer Basics 1 – Learn how to use a computer keyboard and mouse; 6-7:30 p.m., Wed., Sept. 22.
- Computer Basics 2 – Learn how to use basic features of the Windows software operating system. The session will cover using the toolbars, scroll bar and text boxes; 6- 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 29.
- Internet Basics 1 – Learn how to navigate a Web page and how to use Web browsers and search engines; 6-77:30 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 13.
- Internet Basics 2 – Learn how to find information using Web directories and search engines; 6-7:30 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 20.
And don’t forget the library system closes next week for a furlough. All library branches will be closed from Monday, Aug. 30 through Monday, Sept. 6 (Labor Day). Branches will reopen on Tuesday, Sept. 7. The Greenwood Library is open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and 1-5 p.m. Sunday for you to check out any last-minute items. No books will be due and no fines will accrue during the furlough, and all book drops will be locked.